Common Dog Breed Diseases
1-Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
These amazingly cute dogs have a weak heart. As they grow older, inevitably, they are afflicted by Mitral Valve disease. In fact, this breed of dogs succumbs to this disease even at as young an age as two years!
- The most common symptom of this disease is heart murmurs.
- Breathlessness is also a very common symptom of a weak heart.
- There are sudden muscle spasms in the leg muscles.
- muscle spasms is manifested in the form of hyperextension and hyperflexion of the legs.
- Symptoms also include an arched spine.
3-Chronic Superficial Keratitis
Treatment can be accomplished by the prescription of corticosteroids or the application of cyclosporine.
Other common dog breed diseases include:
- Glaucoma which affects poodles and basset hounds,
- Shar pei fever which affects Shar Peis and
- White dog Shaker syndrome which affects West Highland White terriers.
Dog breed diseases is an important factor which helps you decide what breed of dog is suitable for you; make sure you do not underestimate its importance.
Three Rare Dog Diseases Which You Must Know About
Rare dog diseases are diseases which are quite uncommon in dogs, however, it is a good idea to know about them as there is always a possibility that your dog might be one of the unlucky ones who have to bear the brunt of one of these rare dog diseases. Treatment and diagnosis of these conditions might be extremely difficult as they are rare and vets might not be used to dealing with dogs afflicted with these diseases.
Atrial Septal Defect
This is an extremely rare medical condition in dogs and this basically occurs when there is a small hole in the wall which separates the right atrium from the left atrium. This basically causes abnormal blood flow in dogs.
Symptoms of Atrial Septal Defect diseases include:
- heart murmurs.
- difficulty breathing.
- dizziness and tiredness.
- abnormal swelling of the abdomen and a general unwillingness to move.
Many medicines are available in the market which can be used to treat this condition. Surgery can even correct this defect for your dog, but it is generally not done because of the high risk associated with open heart surgery, moreover, it is quite expensive.
- This is an autoimmune skin-related disease which basically affects Dobermanns and Collies.
- The most common form of this disease is Pemphigus foliaceus.
- This results in skin lesions and crusts on the skin.
- Pemphigus vulgaris is less common and the symptoms that your dog is afflicted by it are blisters on the skin.
Treatment of Pemphigus can be done by administering Corticosteroids to the dog and tetracycline. No vaccine is available to prevent Pemphigus.
Discoid Lupus Erythematosis
- This, like Pemphigus is a rare autoimmune disease which afflicts dogs.
- The first and most common symptom of all dogs who are suffering from this disease is discoloration of the nose.
- The nose turns rough, an unhealthy grey and ulcers develop on it.
- As the disease progresses, the area around the eyes, ears and lips also get discolored.
Treatment of this disease is done by administration of corticosteroids and tetracycline again, apart from these two there are various other drugs available to help your dog recover from this rare dog disease.