Parvo is the Latin name for small. The name suits the disease as it is a contagious viral disease and virus is the smallest living thing. This is passed on from one dog to another by the way of infected feces or any other thing that is infested and comes in direct contact with the dogs. When the virus enters the body of its host, they multiply immediately and damage the bloodstream. However, even a bird can be effective carrier of this disease and pass it on to the dogs by the way of feces.
Symptoms/ Signs of Parvo disease in Dogs-
The following are the signs or symptoms of this Disease
1) The infected dog will show signs like fever, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. In severe cases of diarrhea it is watery and some times contains blood.
2) The stools passed by the dog appear to be yellow in color and has a strong odor.
3) Intussusception is also a probable symptom.
4) Dogs also develop excruciating abdominal pain.
Treatment/ Vaccination of Parvo Disease
1) The first step of treatment is to take the dog to a vet for diagnosis of this disease.
2) The treatment involves giving of vitamins, fluids that are sweet and potassium through intravenous. The dog is required to be admitted in the hospital for at least a few days.
3) The only way of treating intussusception is by surgery.
4) When the dog is hospitalized, there should be monitoring of his red blood cell count and the protein level.
5) In case the dog does not show any improvement then blood transfusion might be required.