Dog flea collars are easy to use.
You simply fasten it around your dog’s neck and then cut off any excess material. In general, they will provide flea protection for as long as eight months.
After using any pesticide product for your dog, Sensitivity may occur.
If any irritation signs appear, you should remove the collar and bathe your dog with mild soap and rinse with a large amount of water. If signs continue, call a veterinarian immediately.
Here are seven of the more popular dog flea collars available, along with one all-natural alternative.
Effective 8-Months Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
- This easy-to-use, odorless and non-greasy collar will kill and repels fleas and Lyme-carrying ticks for as long as eight months.
- It is water-resistant, so It is also said to work even when your dog wet following swimming, a shampoo treatment and after exposure rain.
- Seresto remains effective after sunlight exposure
- The Seresto collar contains distributed active ingredient that released in low concentrations over dog body from head to tail for 8 continuous months
- The Seresto collar is designed to kill fleas Quickly and should start killing fleas as soon as it is placed around your dog’s neck.
- Reinfesting fleas are killed within 2 hours. Prevents tick infestations within 48 hours after application
- The Seresto collar will also provide protection against fleas within a few days and should continue to provide continuous protection for up to eight months.
Adams Flea & Tick Collar For Dogs
- This collar is adjustable one size fits all
- It kills fleas while, at the same time
- It break life cycle of the flea, killing flea eggs and larvae, to prevent re-infestation.
- The Adams Flea and Tick Collar is fast acting as it begins to work immediately when placed around your dog’s neck.
- It will provide continued protection for up to seven months and is waterproof.
- It is works even when wet
PREVENTEF-D Flea and Tick Collar For Dogs
This collar, which contains deltamethrin insecticide, uses what the manufacturer describes as patented, insecticide-release technology. As a result, the product will kill adult fleas on the dog and provide flea protection for up to six months. It is adjustable and the one size will fit most dogs.
Double Duty Flea and Tick Collar
This collar is manufactured by Sergeant’s and is said to provide a simple solution to flea and tick problems on your dog. All you need to do is put the collar on your dog and fleas, flea eggs and ticks will immediately begin to die and fall off the dog.
Bio Spot Flea & Tick Collar For Dogs
This flea collar also provides five-month flea and tick protection and kills both fleas and ticks, including those that carry Lyme disease. It is fast acting for fleas and provides continuous protection even when wet.
Hartz UltraGuard Plus Flea Collar For Dogs
The Hartz UltraGuard Plus Flea Collar contains both an insecticide, Rabon, to kill adult fleas and ticks, and an insect growth regulator, Vigren, to kill the flea eggs before they can hatch.
It is said to be effective for as long as seven months and it will begin killing fleas immediately.
If you have a debilitated, aged or medicated dog, be sure to consult a veterinarian before using this product. Also, any collar irritates some dogs if it is applied too tightly.
This collar repels fleas and ticks, has a clean, fresh scent, and is water resistant.
Hartz UltraGuard Plus Reflective Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs And Puppies
The manufacture of this collar says it represents effective, complete protection against fleas and ticks. It is a white collar with silver reflecting band that reflects light for up to 450 feet for nighttime safety.
The unique Hartz UltraGuard Plus Flea Collar will also break the flea’s lifecycle to keep the dog protected. It also focuses the pesticide on the dog and away from you.
An All-Natural Dog Flea Collar
If you would prefer to keep harsh chemicals away from your dog, there is an all-natural alternative dog collar. It is called the Play Dead Herbal Collar is made with all natural oils, repels fleas, and is said to smell great.
The Play Dead Herbal Collar infuses essential oils into beads of plastic before the plastic is molded onto the collar. So the oils are spread throughout the collar for an even and safe application.
The ingredients in this collar include oil of pennyroyal, oil of eucalyptus, oil of cedar wood, oil of citronella, and oil of rue.
The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Dog Flea Collars
There are three advantages to dog flea collars.
1-First, they are easy to obtain, as they are available in many different retail outlets, as well as online pet stores.
2-Second,d they are inexpensive, as even a “costly” dog flea collar will rarely be more than seven dollars.
3-third, they are easy to apply – you simply fasten it around your dog’s neck and presto!
The collar will immediately go to work killing fleas and should provide from 5-7 months of protection from fleas.
However, dog flea collars are no longer considered to be a very effective solution. The reason for this is while they will kill flea eggs, most of these collars are not strong enough to actually kill adult fleas. A much better solution for killing adult fleas is a dog flea medicine. However, if your dog does not yet have fleas, then a dog flea collar can be a good preventative measure against a flea infestation.
Overall Effectiveness Of Dog Flea Treatments
In terms of overall effectiveness, the flea medicines – both those that are applied topically and those that are oral – are considered to be number one flea fighters. These are followed by flea sprays, then flea powders and with dog flea collars last.
Your dog doesn’t have to suffer from fleas. Flea medicines and sprays are easy to find and apply and relatively inexpensive. So if you find your dog scratching like crazy, take heart. He can lose those fleas in no time and stay protected for as long as a month or more.